The Berry Street School is committed to the principles of a liberal democracy.
Under schedule 4, clause 1 of the Education and Training Reform Regulations 2017 (Vic), the principles of Australian democracy include a commitment to:
- ‘elected government
- the rule of law
- equal rights for all before the law
- freedom of religion
- freedom of speech and association
- the values of openness and tolerance.’
The Berry Street School is also committed to the additional principles outlined in section 1.2.1(b) of the Education and Reform Act 2006 (Vic). It states that all Victorians—irrespective of the school they attend, where they live, or their background—should have access to high-quality education that:
- enables them to realise their learning potential and achieve their best
- inspires lifelong learning
- enables parents/guardians to actively participate in their children’s education.